The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Labor Day Recipes to Send off Summer
Labor Day is a holiday most American’s celebrate by not working if possible. This day marks summer coming to an end and the next school year about to begin. The final barbeques and picnics of the season are coming to a close. New beginnings for a new season are upon us. This day however is more than just a day off from work. It is known as the “workingman’s holiday,” to celebrate all those hard working Americans and the time and commitment they make each day to their families and employment. That is a reason to celebrate!
Labor Day Recipes
So let’s send summer off in style with these kidney-friendly picnic and barbeque favorites. Included are low sodium heart healthy meals that don’t sacrifice the flavor!! Excess salt increases thirst and fluid retention. Help to manage fluids and keep your heart healthy by sticking to a low sodium diet.
- Grilled Flank Steak with Vinaigrette Vegetables
- Chicken and Summer Vegetable Kebabs
- Grilled Salmon Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Sour Cream and Onion Turkey Burgers
- Watermelon-Cucumber Salad
- Marinated Fresh Vegetables
- Chicken Fruit Salad
- Apple Cranberry Slaw with Celery Seed Dressing
And remember to keep cool at these outside gatherings. If you are going to be outside for an extended amount of time, bring an umbrella or find a shady spot to relax. For those of you that are watching your fluid intake, here are a few thirst quenching tips.
- Limit salty and spicy foods-these can increase thirst
- Freeze lemon slices, blueberries or grapes and suck on a few pieces when you are thirsty
- Make flavored ice cubes using your favorite lemon or fruit flavored water or drink
- Limit caffeine and alcohol as these may increase thirstIf you haven’t done so already, download the Today’s Kidney Diet Summer Cooldown cookbook. You will find even more tasty recipes to serve over the Labor Day.
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
DaVita Diet Helper online meal planner and tracker
Kidney Smart® Classes taught by kidney experts in your area
Blog Standard Disclaimer:
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult our physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet, and health questions