What’s in Your Fridge? Must-have Ingredients
Stock your fridge with kidney-friendly ingredients to be successful following your eating plan.
Imagine this: You are coming home from work, run into the post office for a quick errand, and pick up your child from soccer practice. After all that, your day is not done. How often do you think, “What do I possibly have in my fridge that I can whip-up in less than 30 minutes and that’s kidney-friendly and healthy for me and my family?”
It’s important to plan ahead for meals and prepare for your busy week, especially when what you eat has a direct impact on how you feel. Instead of dining out or ordering take-out, stock your fridge so you always have ingredients for a healthy meal that meets your kidney diet plan. When you have basic staples on hand it’s easier to plan meals and stick with your eating plan.
Here’s a list of foods to stock a kidney-friendly fridge.
- Berries (all)
- Bell pepper
- Collard greens
- Ready-made salad bags
- Beef flank steak
- Beef or pork tenderloin
- Chicken breasts, skinless
- Cooked whole chicken, rotisserie
- Pork loin chop
- Turkey, ground or cutlets
- Eggs/egg whites
Dairy and dairy products:
- Cottage cheese (1/4 cup)
- Cream cheese
- Creamer (without phosphate additives)
- Milk (limit to ½ cup)
- Rice or almond milk (unenriched)
- Soy milk
- Sour cream
- Soft-tub margarine made with corn, safflower or canola oils
- Frozen vegetables without added salt or sauces
- Frozen fruit without added sugar
- Juice bars/sorbet
- Frozen meals with less than 600 mg of sodium and at least 15g of protein (check the food label)
Try one of these quick, easy recipes using ingredients from your kidney-friendly stocked refrigerator.
Speak to your dietitian for more ideas. Visit DaVita.com for more quick recipes and cooking tips.
Coming next: Stocking a kidney-friendly pantry.