The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Stay on Track with Your Kidney Diet this Halloween
Halloween is almost here again, along with cooler nights and breezy days. For many, October 31st marks the beginning of holiday eating and diet temptations. It’s time to devise a plan to help you stick to your kidney diet despite the chocolate covered nuts and other goodies that may tempt you. Your goal may be to prevent weight gain, keep diabetes in control, maintain normal potassium or phosphorus levels or to simple eat healthy.
Here are a few tips to get you started on the track to healthier holiday eating this Halloween:
- Wait until the last minute if you intend to buy candy for Halloween, so you are not tempted to nibble on candy before the children dressed as ghosts and goblins make their visit.
- Buy low potassium, low phosphorus candies such as jelly beans, Skittles®, hard candies, lollipops, Gummy Bears® or Starburst®. For more ideas, read Kidney Friendly Candy for Dialysis Patients.
- Look for sugar-free candy to help decrease the Halloween sugar load.
- Chocolate and nuts are high in potassium and phosphorus. Avoid buying orif you do, limit your portion to only one snack size piece a day.
- Consider giving out toys, school supplies or fruit instead of candy.
- Go to the local Harvest Festival or other event. Focus on fun instead of food.
- Write it down. People who keep food diaries are more successful at sticking to their diet plan.If you realize you have eaten 6 pieces of candy, seeing it in writing may stop you from eating the 7th piece.
- Serve a festive low calorie beverage such as low sugar Hot Holiday Cider to guests at your Halloween events.
- Give it away. Package up leftover candies and give to a neighbor or shelter in your area.
- Keep track of your weight and your lab results so you know how the extra goodies affect you.
In addition to these tips, visit DaVita.com to find recipes you can serve at your Halloween get-together.
- Apple Bars
- Apple Caramel Dessert
- Apples Baked in Cider
- Caramel Apple Salad
- Chili Con Carne
- Cream Cheese Thumbprint Cookies
- Easy Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Frost on the Pumpkin Pie
- Glistening Frog Eye Salad
- Halloween Delight Cake
- Hot Apple Cider
- Orange 7 UP®
- Pretzel Salad
- Spooky Punch
- Sugar and Spice Popcorn
- Sweet Popcorn Balls
- Turkey Vegetable Chili
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.