The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Mindful Eating During the Holidays
There is no doubt that food is a major component of the holiday season. Holiday foods can inspire joy and bring people together. Holiday traditions and memories of family and friends are our first thoughts when we smell the aroma of a turkey roasting or taking the first bite of a warm cookie from the oven. We are surrounded by an abundance of delicious foods during the holiday season. And we eat. And we continue to eat. We eat because it’s there, not because we are hungry, we experience holiday eating. We gain weight.
Whether you want to prevent weight gain, control potassium and phosphorus intake, or decrease fluid intake, the holiday season can make any goal challenging. How do you attempt to meet your goals while enjoying your favorite holiday foods and treats? Mindful eating can help us become more aware of how our bodies feel, our emotions and our thoughts while eating. Below are five tips to eat mindfully this holiday season and beyond.
- Slow down. Chew your food slowly. You may notice flavors you hadn’t noticed before. You may become more aware of your fullness; or maybe that you are still hungry.
- Limit distractions. This can be difficult during the holiday season. Turn off the TV and personal electronics during the meal. These distractions will only take away from our eating experience and can cause us to overeat. When you’re eating- you should just be eating.
- Pay attention to the food. Notice the crunch of the pie crust. The aromas of the foods on your plate. The different flavors on your tongue with each bite. The temperature of the food. Try to engage all of your senses.
- Sit down. At a table. Try not to multi-task while eating.
- Pick the smallest plate. You may crave less if there is less in front of you.
These tips are not only helpful during the busy holiday season but throughout the entire year. Find more tips in the article “12 Kidney Diet Success Secrets for the Holidays“.