Kidney Diet Recipes for a Happy Independence Day
Nothing is better than a home cooked meal and the gathering of family and friends to celebrate the Red, White and Blue of Independence Day! Confused on what to eat this holiday? We have some terrific kidney-friendly DaVita recipes to help spice up your Independence Day holiday planning and festivities!
Salads and Sides
Put a spin on your salads and sides selection this year! We’ve made kidney-friendly versions of some of the most popular summer side dishes. Special attention to sodium, potassium and phosphorus will help you stay on track.
- Watermelon and Cucumber Salad
- Apple Cranberry Slaw with Celery Seed Dressing
- Cucumber-Carrot Salad
- Picnic Potato Salad
- Crunchy Couscous Salad
- Colorful Pasta Salad (Ensalada de Pasta Colorida)
- Marinated Fresh Vegetables
Grilled entrees are very common for summer BBQs. We have included some grilled and non-grilled items to offer a variety at the celebration. Keep sodium in check by using flavorful home made condiments, low-sodium homemade marinades, herbs and spices instead of salt and .
- Grilled Salmon Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Chicken and Summer Vegetable Kebabs
- Crunchy Chicken Wraps
- Sour Cream and Onion Turkey Burgers
- Brewery Burger
- Slow Cooker Apple Pork Roast
- Pineapple Glazed Crock-Pot Chicken Thighs
While you’re making a splash with your recipes this Independence Day, here are some tips for keeping fluids in check if you have a fluid limit.
- Skip the salty foods and condiments that can cause you to be thirsty.
- Freeze some grapes or berries and enjoy each one as a mini Popsicle.
- Opt for caffeine free beverages. Beverages containing caffeine can make you thirsty.
- Enjoy pieces of ice to munch on instead of drinking liquids to quench your thirst.
Whether you are celebrating Independence Day at home this year or traveling to see family or friends, following your kidney diet is easier than you think with these kidney-friendly recipes. Let us know what you think!
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.