The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Independence Day Favorite Recipes
Are you staying home on Independence Day this year? With July 4th falling on a Wednesday, many people may decide to stay close to home. This means making home-cooked food and joining local friends and neighbors. Wondering what to make? We have some tasty kidney-friendly DaVita recipe suggestions to help with your holiday planning. If you are invited to a friend’s home think about bringing one of these dishes with you.
Keep appetizers easy, and make ahead if possible so you can focus on the main dishes.
- Addictive Pretzels
- Creamy Cucumber Spread
- Deviled Eggs for Parties
- Hummus and Red Pepper Celery Logs
Grilled entrees are the most popular for summer socials. We’ve included a few non-grilled recipes in case you prefer cooking in the kitchen.
- Bob’s Oven-Baked Pork Ribs
- Braised Short Ribs of Beef (Costillas de Res Asadas)
- Citrus Salmon
- Easy Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Flank Steak and Vinaigrette Vegetables
- Herb-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
- Sour Cream and Onion Turkey Burgers
From salads to vegetables, we’ve made kidney-friendly versions of some of the most popular summer sides.
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Cucumber and Radish Salad
- It’s Better Than Potato Salad
- Grill Thyme Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Multicolored Peppers and Onions
Red, white and blue desserts are a hit for Independence Day. We’ve also included a few other favorites.
- Blueberry Peach Crisp
- Dessert Cups with Fresh Fruit
- Fruit Pizza
- Red, White and Blue Pie
- Strawberry Fluff Cake
Include several of these lower sodium, potassium and phosphorus recipes this Independence Day. Whether you are doing a stay-at-home celebration or visiting away from home, sticking to your kidney diet is easier when you have kidney-friendly foods.
In addition to the above recipes, here are some tips to help keep fluids in check if you are on a fluid limit:
- Stay cool—in the shade, near a fan, or wrap a wet bandana around your neck.
- Munch on ice slowly instead of drinking liquids to quench your thirst.
- Skip the higher sodium dishes and condiments that can cause more thirst.
- Enjoy a few frozen grapes and berries instead of liquids.
Happy Independence Day!
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.