The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Food Facts Friday: Hemp Milk
Plant-based milk alternatives are growing in popularity. Hemp milk is one of the lesser known of these. Consumers can find hemp milk in most grocery stores and online. Hemp milk is made by blending water and seeds of the Cannabis plant. Hemp is made from the same plant that produces the psychoactive compound THC. However, hemp milk does not cause any body- or mind-altering effects.
People with kidney disease may follow a mineral-restricted diet, limiting sodium, potassium and phosphorus. With some careful planning, hemp milk can fit into a kidney diet. Work with a renal dietitian to incorporate hemp milk into meal plans.
Here is a comparison between 8 ounces hemp milk and 8 ounces cow’s milk
|Nutrients||Hemp milk||Cow’s milk, 2%|
|Protein||3 gm||8 gm|
|Calcium||283 mg||293 mg|
|Phosphorus||317 mg||224 mg|
|Potassium||101 mg||342 mg|
|Sodium||134 mg||115 mg|
As a general rule, dialysis patients are recommended to limit to 1/2 cup milk and milk alternatives with similar mineral content. If blood tests show high levels of potassium or phosphorus your dietitian may recommend almond milk or rice milk instead of hemp milk.
Hemp milk is a good source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, zinc and magnesium.
How to Make Hemp Milk
You can make your own kidney-friendly hemp milk with a handful of ingredients. Find hemp seeds on the baking isle at your local grocery store or order online. Hemp products are legal in the United States.
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 whole date, pitted or 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (optional) 2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder for chocolate flavor
- (optional) 1/4 cup fresh berries for berry flavor
- Add hemp seeds, water and any optional ingredients to a high speed blender. Top with lid. Blend for 1 minute.
- Scoop out a small sample and taste test for sweetness. Add more dates or vanilla as needed.
- Pour mixture directly into a serving container or if straining, pour over a large mixing bowl or pitcher with cheesecloth, a wire strainer or a nut milk bag.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate. It keeps in refrigerator up to 5 days.
How to Use Hemp Milk
Here are some suggestions for consuming homemade hemp milk:
- Drink it straight
- Add it to smoothies
- Serve it over granola or your favorite cereal
- Add it to baked goods to replace milk
- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/ accessed June 2, 2020
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
- DaVita Food Analyzer
- DaVita Dining Out Guides
- DaVita Kidney-Friendly Recipes
- Today’s Kidney Diet Cookbooks
- Diet and Nutrition Articles
- Diet and Nutrition Videos
- Kidney Smart® Virtual Classes
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.