The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Food Facts Friday: Blackberries
Summer is upon us and you know what that means…. being outdoors, enjoying the fun in the sun, and having fresh blackberries to munch on. Did you know that there are around 375 species of blackberry? That’s a lot of berries! Hailed as a “superfood,” this little fruit packs a punch when it comes to nutrients.
Serving Size and Nutrition Facts
Blackberries provide an excellent source of vitamin C and K, plus vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. This berry also contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. They are also a great source dietary fiber.
Possible Health Benefits
Due to the variety of nutrients, blackberries have been known to offer health benefits that are being more widely recognized, such as digestive health and strengthening the immune system (1,2). They may also provide cognitive benefits that could aid in enhancing memory, weight management, keeping bones strong and improving vision (1,2,3).
Anthocyanin, which gives berries their color is an antioxidant that might reduce free radicals which may cause aging of cells (3). That’s a lot of work for such a small fruit! Researchers are currently linking anthocyanin activity with controlling diabetes, improving circulation and slowing the effects of aging, specifically memory loss and motor skills (2).
Besides for being sweet and good for you, it’s no wonder blackberries are used in delicious desserts, jams, seedless jelly and sometimes wine. For many people, eating a handful of fresh blackberries is the favorite way to enjoy this fruit.
The cost of blackberries depends on the season. The average price for prepack blackberries is about $4.86/pint, with the lowest pricing being between $1.50-3.50/pint and the highest being $6.00-12.00/pint, which depends strongly on the region (4).
Although blackberries taste great straight from the container, you may prefer it as a sweet treat.Try one of these DaVita.com blackberry recipes.
- Blackberry Sauce
- More Momma’s Blackberry Mountain Pie
- Triple Berry Protein Parfait
- Very Berry Galette
- What are the benefits of blackberries? A. Kandola; June 6, 2018 https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322052.php ; accessed 8-8-19
- https://www.health.com/nutrition/blackberries-nutrition accessed 8-8-19
- http://berryhealth.fst.oregonstate.edu/health_healing/fact_sheets/blackberry_facts.htm Accessed 8/8/19
- https://www.raspberryblackberry.com/raspberry-and-blackberry-pricing-survey-2018/ Accessed 6/11/19
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
- DaVita Diet Helper online meal planner and tracker
- DaVita Kidney-Friendly recipes
- Today’s Kidney Diet cookbooks
- Diet and Nutrition articles
- Kidney Diet and Nutrition Hub
- Kidney Smart® Classes taught by kidney experts in your area
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet, and health questions.