The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Best Breakfast Choices for Dining Out on a Kidney Diet
Knowing the best choices for a kidney diet helps you stay within your goals to keep intake low in sodium, potassium and phosphorus. Here are some tips to help keep a kidney-friendly breakfast.
- Order poached or fried eggs. Scrambled eggs may have added milk and salt. Request no added salt.
- Low cholesterol egg product is lower in phosphorus compared to eggs. Request it instead of scrambled eggs, or to use in omelets.
- Choose omelets made with lower potassium vegetables such as onion, bell pepper, mushrooms. Go easy on the cheese or request cream cheese to replace American, cheddar or Swiss cheese.
- Avoid avocado, chili, salty meats and cheese as omelet fillings.
- Limit bacon to 1-2 slices occasionally. Avoid other higher sodium meats like sausage, ham, Canadian bacon and lox.
- Use caution when ordering fast food breakfast sandwiches. English muffins or sourdough toast are much lower in phosphorus and sodium than biscuits. Omit the cheese.
- Limit high potassium breakfast foods like hash browns and orange juice. One small hash brown patty with a small amount of ketchup may be ok occasionally if other potassium sources are limited.
- Choose apple, grape or cranberry juice. Order a small glass if fluids are limited or request fresh berries instead.
- Pancakes and waffles are high in phosphorus and sodium. French toast is a better choice.
- Decline refills on coffee, tea or water if fluids are limited.
- Ask for nondairy creamer for cereal instead of milk.
For ideas on breakfast meals check out the breakfast recipes on DaVita.com.