The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipes-a Sweet Kidney Diet Tip
Five days until Christmas, which means you have time to make some of your favorite holiday cookies. Imagine the aroma of fresh baked cookies filling the house! I’ve selected 5 of my favorite holiday cookie recipes from the DaVita kidney-friendly recipe collection. In addition, consider these 5 reasons to make a batch of cookies today!
- Everyone loves cookies, so make a batch for gifts to family, friends, and the people who provide a service all year (postal worker, delivery persons, babysitters, home maintenance helpers, etc.). Include the recipe on a festive recipe card or holiday card.
- Take a plate of cookies to upcoming holiday events. Share at work parties, at the dialysis center, and at holiday celebrations.
- Plan a fun event by getting the family or friends together to help mix up the cookie dough, cut out holiday shapes, decorate cookies and taste test the finished product.
- Bring a smile and a box of cookies to your neighbors–those you know but also those you don’t know so well.
- Share your special homemade cookies with someone who cannot make their own–home bound friends, those in nursing homes or rehab centers, extremely busy or stressed coworkers and friends, or anyone who needs some holiday cheer.
One of the keys to keeping holiday cookies kidney-friendly is to limit ingredients high in sodium, potassium and phosphorus. For example, many cookie recipes call for nuts or chocolate chips. You can use a small amount and still get the flavor while keeping it acceptable for a kidney diet. Use the 25% rule. If the recipe calls for 1 cup, reduce the amount to 25%, which is 1/4 cup. Some cookie recipes call for several high sodium ingredients such as baking soda, baking powder, salted butter or margarine and salt. You can substitute unsalted butter or margarine and reduce or omit the salt and still have a great tasting cookie.
5 Favorite Kidney-friendly Holiday Cookies from DaVita
Angel Cookies (only 4 ingredients!)
Anise and Orange Biscotti (a favorite to serve with hot tea or coffee)
Gingersnap Cookies (cinnamon, cloves and ginger-yum!)
Swedish Rusks (another favorite for dunking)
What’s your favorite holiday cookie?
Additional Kidney Diet Resources
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.