10 Red, White and Blue Independence Day Treats
Celebrate Independence Day with some red, white and blue food treats. The entire family, including kids and grand kids will be happy to join in the festivities!
- Fruit kabobs are an easy and healthy way to add color to the holiday. Grab a set of skewers and create a rainbow effect by alternating a variety of fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or cherries. Slice fruit into various shapes, like watermelon into a star, for extra fun and pizazz.
- Get the whole family involved and bake pinwheel cookies together using rolled dyed dough. Kids will love the splash of color and your kitchen will smell great!
- Make a fruit tart topped with strawberries or blueberries. Add a little flare by placing the fruit in a flag shape or a big star.
- Create a patriotic punch with layered colored beverages or a simplified version using lemonade, strawberry lemonade or ginger ale with red and blue fruits.
- Parfaits are a perfect summer treat and a fan favorite dessert consisting of layers of whipped topping, fruit and granola served in a tall glass.
- Have a cupcake or sugar cookie decorating competition using icing, sprinkles or other edible decorations that are red, white and blue.
- Get fancy and dip a strawberry, pretzel stick or rice crispy treat dipped in white chocolate then rolled in red, white and blue sprinkles or sugar.
- Regular or sugar free gelatin can be made as “jigglers” or blocks and served as individual flavors or a combination of flavors. These can even be layered to look like firecrackers by topping with a cherry with a stem.
- Bake a colorful berry cobbler, with red and black raspberries, rhubarb or blueberries. While the cobbler is still warm add some whipped topping or a small dip of vanilla ice cream for some extra deliciousness.
- Make a berry trifle with pound cake, yellow cake or angel food cake alternately layered with whip topping and red and blue fruits.
Have fun, make some treats and enjoy the summer!
Check out these previous Independence Day posts for recipe ideas:
Visit DaVita.com and explore these diet and nutrition resources:
- DaVita Kidney-Friendly recipes
- Today’s Kidney Diet cookbooks
- Diet and Nutrition articles
- Kidney Smart® Virtual Classes
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.