The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
10 Low-Carb Holiday Appetizers
Holidays are filled with family get-togethers and also the temptation to consume unhealthy foods. Holiday appetizers can be a main source of carbohydrates (carbs), adding extra sugar and possibly unwanted calories. Your holiday doesn’t have to be calorie-laden and carb-filled.
Low Carb Appetizers
- Almond Cranberry Logs are red and green colored treats that brighten up the holiday table.
- Are You Kidding Me Artichoke Dip with its warm and creamy texture will have your guests asking for more.
- Creamy Cucumber Spread is a fast, low cost, low-phosphorus, low-potassium spread that adds color to any holiday table.
- Holiday Tuna Ball adds a new spin on a classic. Skip those extra calories of a traditional cheese ball and opt for this healthier tasty alternative.
- A popular crowd pleaser that everyone enjoys is the Hot Crab Dip. This creamy warm appetizer will have everyone’s taste buds sizzling.
- Hummus and Red Pepper Celery Logs are a vegetarian delight for everyone’s indulgences. This simple low-calorie starter is quite refreshing.
- Raw Veggies and Dip are a staple of any occasion. This low-salt dip is tasty yet healthy.
- A double delicious protein punch appetizer is the Shrimp Stuffed Deviled Eggs. Guests will rave over this finger food starter.
- Quick n’ Easy Cheese Dip is a combination of lower phosphorus cheeses for the cheese lover. Experiment dipping raw veggies, apples and low-salt crackers.
- A protein packed holiday classic are the Swedish Meatballs. In addition to protein, this recipe reduces sodium but keeps that flavorful taste.
If you are traveling this holiday season, tap into the DaVita collection of recipes and cookbooks to add spice to your holiday meals wherever you go. This season’s Today’s Kidney Diet Holiday Gatherings offers a collection of recipes that you can serve or take to your next holiday event. Check out these 10 Holiday Destinations for Dialysis-Friendly Travel to learn more about events and things to do in some great places. Ask your dietitian for additional guidelines for your kidney diet and for holiday eating away from home.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.