St. Patrick’s Day Tips and Recipes for the Kidney Diet
On March 17th we all have a bit of Irish in us. Here in America St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of Irish-American culture more so that a celebration of the patron saint. We love to prepare a hearty Irish meal, wear something green, and drink Irish beer, even if it’s green. Parades and parties are are all around, and Irish pubs have standing room only.
For those of you following the kidney diet I have a few tips to help you stick with a kidney-friendly diet and still join in St. Patty Day celebrations.
- Go for a hearty beef stew, roast lamb, salmon or Shepherd’s pie and steer clear of the corned beef, which has over 900 mg sodium for a 3 ounce serving. You can also cook a fresh brisket without the curing seasonings.
- If you plan a traditional Irish potato dish like Potatoes O ‘Brien, Colcannon (a cabbage and potato dish), or plain old Mash (mashed potatoes), you can reduce potassium in the potatoes by double boiling or soaking the potatoes, and limit to one serving.
- Save your vegetable choices for the day for your celebration meal and watch portions to avoid potassium overload.
- If you include beer, make it a root beer or a lower phosphorus light beer (with green dye, of course). Some of the best kidney-friendly choices are Bud Light® or Michelob Ultra Light®. Most other beers, including traditional Irish beers (even O ‘Doul’s®) contain almost 100 mg potassium and 140 mg phosphorus for 12 ounces. Always check with your doctor before including alcohol in your diet, and be aware of your fluid intake if you are on a fluid restriction.
- Look for kidney-friendly recipes on DaVita.com to help keep sodium, potassium and phosphorus in check.
St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
Choose a main dish from these kidney-friendly recipes on DaVita.com
Choose a side dish
Choose a Dessert
Choose a beverage
Irish Coffee (6 ounces brewed Coffee, 1.5 oz Irish whiskey, whipped cream)
Irish cream (6 ounces brewed coffee and Irish cream flavored coffee nondairy creamer)
An Irish Blessing for you
May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow.
May the soft winds freshen your spirit.
May the sunshine brighten your heart
May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you.
And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love.
And an Irish Toast
May the sound of happy music, and the lilt of Irish laughter, fill your heart with gladness, that stays forever after.
An Irish Quotation
“St. Patrick’s Day is an enchanted time — a day to begin transforming winter’s dreams into summer’s magic.”~~By Adrienne Cook.~~
Kidney diet resources from DaVita.com