The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Please watch an important video and find resources on this page.
10 Tips to Help Control Fluid and Thirst
When your kidneys are no longer able to remove extra fluid from the body water builds up causing edema, water weight gain and shortness of breath. As a result, a daily limit on the amount of liquids is prescribed. If a person has no help at all from the kidneys to remove fluid, the limit is usually around 32 ounces (4 cups) a day. This is a challenge, especially during the hot summer months.
Fluid Control Tips
Here are ten tips to try that may help you stay within your daily fluid goal.
- Salt: If salt intake is reduced, it will help control thirst.
- Seasonings: Your dietitian can recommend salt-free seasoning ideas and substitutions for high sodium foods.
- Measure: Keep track of liquids each time you eat or drink them. Spread liquids throughout the day.
- Use small cups and glasses. Four ounces of juice will seem like more in a small glass than it will in a large one.
- Fill a bottle with 32 ounces of liquid. Each time a liquid is consumed, remove an amount equal to it from the bottle.
- Hard candy: Hard sour candy or mint gum can help moisten the mouth and help decrease desire for liquids.
- Gargling: Rinsing with mouthwash may also be helpful. Some patients find it helpful to chill their mouthwash.
- Lemon: Adding a lemon wedge to ice water can help quench thirst.
- Cold Fruits: Try sampling a few frozen grapes or blueberries.
- Pills: Take pills with soft foods, such as applesauce, instead of liquids.
Instead of plain water try one of these thirst-quenching flavored waters. You can also use the water to make ice cubes once the flavors have infused for 24 hours.
- Apple-Cinnamon Flavored Water
- Blackberry-Sage Flavored Water
- Cucumber-Lemon Flavored Water
- Pineapple-Mint Flavored Water
- Raspberry-Lime Flavored Water
- Watermelon-Rosemary Flavored Water
Icy cold beverages and desserts help quench thirst and cool you down. Try this 3 ingredient Pineapple-Lime Freeze.
Talk to your doctor or dietitian if you have additional questions about fluid restrictions.