June 29, 2011
Cool & easy summer time eating on a kidney diet
Summer heat, humidity + kitchen heat = discomfort making meals instead of enjoyment. You can enjoy a kidney-friendly summer time meal for a dialysis or chronic kidney disease diet plan. Follow these few suggestions and try some quick, easy no cook recipes from DaVita’s collection of over 700 kidney diet recipes.
- Lighten up! Try a refreshing complete meal salad with added protein like tuna, chicken or egg salad.
- Keep the oven off. If you must cook, use the grill for meats or veggies or buy already prepared low-sodium chicken, turkey or beef.
- Make it fruity. Fruit is refreshing in the summer heat. Combine several low potassium fruits such as pineapple, berries, grapes, apples or peaches or add watermelon or strawberries to mixed salad greens with a light homemade viniagrette dressing. Keep your portions in mind because potassium can add up with too many fruits and vegetables.
- Select a sandwich. Easy with no cooking required you can combine a variety of ingredients for a sandwich meal. Serve lean meat or turkey, egg salad or tofu salad in a pita, wrap, bagel, sandwich bread or tortilla. Add lettuce, cucumber, onion and a thin slice ot tomato. Spread with mayonnaise, mustard, red pepper sauce or a spoonful of hummus.
- Recycle. Pull leftovers from the fridge or freezer or search the cupboard for easy foods easy to microwave to make a quick, effortless meal.
- Cool it down. Try a cool summer soup with no cooking required or have cottage cheese with chilled low potassium fruit.
Try some of these delicious recipes from DaVita.com and enjoy a quick, easy, refreshing meal that keeps sodium, potassium and phosphorus in line with your kidney-friendly diet.
Chicken Fruit Salad
Cool Cucumber Soup
Crunchy Chicken Wraps
Fresh Vegetable Marinade
Grilled Chicken Salad
Southwest Tuna Salad
Kidney diet resources from DaVita.com