The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Click here to find videos and additional resources.
O is for Onion–low in potassium, high in flavor for your kidney diet
Regardless of if you consider it a seasoning, a vegetable serving or a sandwich topper, onions are one of the most versatile vegetables included in a kidney friendly diet.
- One 1/4-inch slice from a large onion contains 2 mg sodium, 55 mg potassium and 11 mg phosphorus.
- ½ cup chopped, raw onion contains 3 mg sodium, 117 mg potassium and 23 mg phosphorus.
- ½ cup chopped raw scallions, tops and bulb contains 8 mg sodium, 138 mg potassium and 18 mg phosphorus.
- ½ cup tiny whole onions, boiled contains 8 mg sodium, 106 mg potassium and 2 mg phosphorus.
Health benefits of the onion comes from plant chemicals such as flavonoids, phenols and quercetin, which are associated with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant actions, cholesterol lowering and cancer protection.
Add a punch of healthy onion flavor to your kidney diet by trying some of these ideas:
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil to add to vegetables, soups, casseroles and meat dishes
- Serve sliced raw onion on sandwiches, burgers and salads
- Caramelize onions to top cooked meats or make onion soup
- Make onion rings
- Mix onion pieces in with bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini to roast in the oven or cook on the grill
- Use powdered or minced onion to flavor any savory dish
- Serve fresh green onions on the side to compliment any meat or poultry dish
- Make pickled onions by marinating thin slices in vinegar with a little sweetener if desired.
DaVita.com has over 600 kidney-friendly recipes. Here are some low potassium, low phosphorus, low sodium recipes that use onions to boost flavor:
- Apple Onion Omelet
- Italian Beef with Peppers and Onions
- It’s Better than Potato Salad
- Nicaraguan Beef Tenderloins
- Mahi Fish on the Green
- Spicy Bell Pepper Medley
- Veggie Strata
Kidney diet resources from DaVita.com