Kidney Diet Tools and Resources for a Healthy 2015
Post by guest blogger DaVita dietitian Geri Hipple, RDN, LDN from Illinois.
Does your New Year’s resolution have anything to do with getting healthier in 2015? All too often resolutions are made only to be broken weeks, days or even hours later. Although there are many reasons resolutions fail, not having the tools and resources to succeed can be one of them. When dealing with kidney disease and diet and nutrition issues, these resources can be a big support.
The following are just a few examples of the resources available at your fingertips on DaVita.com to help you achieve your health goals in 2015.
- Use DaVita.com recipes to add some variety to your food choices. The nutrition information is readily available to help you make conscious decisions. Does your resolution look anything like this? “I will include a whole grain each day” (try kidney-friendly Multigrain Hot Cereal) or “I will prepare one new kidney friendly recipe each month” (download the free Winter cookbook or explore Kidney Friendly Recipe Collections for recipe ideas). Using recipes from DaVita.com can help make your goals attainable.
- Create a myDaVita.com account to connect with others on discussion forums and groups. Share your story and make friends while discussing kidney-related issues.
- If you are a DaVita dialysis patient use the DaVita Health Portal and take control of your health. It’s your responsibility. Your healthcare team is here to help you but your health decisions and actions are up to you. Using the DaVita Health Portal to view your nutrition and blood test results, medications and health providers is just one example of how to actively participate in your healthcare. Visit the DaVita Health Portal today to get started on the right track this year!
- Use the DaVita Diet Helper to track food intake, analyze your favorite recipes, and help with menu planning and selection of healthy foods. Diet Helper lets you track your diet and nutrition progress towards your 2015 goals.
- Attend a Kidney Smart Class: If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with kidney disease, attend a Kidney Smart class and learn about treatment options, the disease and how you or your loved one can stay healthy and be prepared.
As you face a New Year with new challenges, use the tools and resources available to drive your success. Enlist the support of others to provide encouragement and celebrate achievements together. We wish much joy and health to you and yours in 2015!
Resources from DaVita.com: