10 Thanksgiving Holiday Hacks
It is easy to load up on phosphorus, potassium, sodium and calories during Thanksgiving or any holiday. With a few small changes to the menu, a renal-friendly meal can be served.
Here are a few suggestions for more kidney-friendly menu options:
- Smashed cauliflower swapped for mashed potatoes is a tasty, low-potassium replacement. Try this Almost Mashed Potatoes recipe. Adding steamed cauliflower with chives, butter, garlic or other spices to a food processor makes the texture smooth like potatoes.
- Spiced or Glazed Carrots are good low-potassium substitutes for sweet potatoes. However if you must have sweet potatoes be sure to double boil or soak them to reduce potassium content.
- Herb Cranberry Stuffing is a kidney-friendly option compared to a traditional recipe or boxed stuffing mix. Rice dishes such as Autumn Wild Rice is another low-phosphorus, low-sodium menu item.
- A veggie tray with cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, celery and bell peppers is a healthy appetizer, especially when using Salt-Free Seasoning Dip.
- Brussels sprouts, Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary, yellow squash and Coleslaw are better options than candied yams. For more cauliflower recipes see “Crazy About Cauliflower Recipes“.
- Carrot Apple Casserole is a low-phosphorus recipe compared to macaroni and cheese.
- The Green Bean Casserole recipe on DaVita.com has less sodium than the traditional green bean casserole made with high-salt canned soup.
- Cranberry Sauce is a low-potassium, low-phosphorus food. You can make your own and replace the sugar with Splenda for a low-sugar version.
- Apple pie, cherry pie, Carrot Pie with Crumb Topping, Snickerdoodles, Shortbread Cookies and High Protein Rice Crispy Treats are renal-friendly desserts. These are lower in potassium and phosphorus compared to pumpkin or pecan pie, fruit cake or chocolate desserts.
- Hot Mulled Punch is a warm and pleasant beverage, a great solution to the calorie and phosphorus filled standard egg nog.
These tasty and delicious appetizers, side dishes and eggnog replacement can help spice up your holiday meals. With a few changes everyone can enjoy a healthy meal that’s kidney-friendly. DaVita.com has many kidney-friendly recipes to include in your meal planning. Enjoy and have a happy and healthy holiday season!