Kidney-Friendly Healthy Snack Options: New and Improved!
Who doesn’t love to snack? Snacking keeps me energized and feeling good throughout the day! Finding tasty, healthy snack options can be more difficult for a patient with chronic kidney disease. There is so much information out there, how do you sift through it all? I would start with talking to your renal dietitian who is the expert on kidney-friendly food choices. Not only that, but your dietitian will be able to come up with an individual plan that works for you and keeps you feeling your best.
Healthier Snack Options
In the last few years the kidney diet has received what I like to call an “upgrade”. People with chronic kidney disease are able to incorporate healthier foods into their renal diet such as Greek yogurt, beans, and whole grains. There is a focus on including more fiber and nutrient-dense foods even though the phosphorus or potassium content is higher than less nutritious snacks. Therefore you have a wider variety of foods to enjoy! Below are some of the most delicious and healthy kidney-friendly snack options.
- Fresh Tofu Spring Rolls
- Hummus with sliced cucumbers
- Cottage cheese with peaches
- Tuna salad with whole grain crackers, bagel, or English muffin
- Fiesta Roll Ups You can substitute flour tortillas for whole wheat tortillas.
- Yummy Yogurt Fruit Dip I do not add the sweetener in this recipe; I find it to be plenty sweet without. Don’t hesitate to play around with recipes and find out what you like!
- A small handful of unsalted nuts such as almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, or peanuts
- Slice of whole wheat toast with fruit spread and peanut butter
- Greek yogurt with berries
For more snack ideas check out 5 Kidney-Friendly Snacks to Keep on Hand.
And as you know, you’ll want to discuss with your renal dietitian how to add these delicious snacks into your individualized meal plan.
So tell me, what is your favorite snack? Do you have recipes you change to make kidney-friendly or healthier?