Independence Day Favorite Recipes
Are you staying home on Independence Day this year? With July 4th falling on a Wednesday, many people may decide to stay close to home. This means making home-cooked food and joining local friends and neighbors. Wondering what to make? We have some tasty kidney-friendly DaVita recipe suggestions to help with your holiday planning. If you are invited to a friend’s home think about bringing one of these dishes with you.
- Addictive Pretzels
- Creamy Cucumber Spread
- Deviled Eggs for Parties
- Hummus and Red Pepper Celery Logs
- Bob’s Oven-Baked Pork Ribs
- Braised Short Ribs of Beef (Costillas de Res Asadas)
- Citrus Salmon
- Easy Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Flank Steak and Vinaigrette Vegetables
- Herb-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
- Sour Cream and Onion Turkey Burgers
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Cucumber and Radish Salad
- It’s Better Than Potato Salad
- Grill Thyme Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Multicolored Peppers and Onions
Red, white and blue desserts are a hit for Independence Day. We’ve also included a few other favorites.
- Blueberry Peach Crisp
- Dessert Cups with Fresh Fruit
- Fruit Pizza
- Red, White and Blue Pie
- Strawberry Fluff Cake
Include several of these lower sodium, potassium and phosphorus recipes this Independence Day. Whether you are doing a stay-at-home celebration or visiting away from home, sticking to your kidney diet is easier when you have kidney-friendly foods.
In addition to the above recipes, here are some tips to help keep fluids in check if you are on a fluid limit:
- Stay cool—in the shade, near a fan, or wrap a wet bandana around your neck.
- Munch on ice slowly instead of drinking liquids to quench your thirst.
- Skip the higher sodium dishes and condiments that can cause more thirst.
- Enjoy a few frozen grapes and berries instead of liquids.
Happy Independence Day!
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Consult your physician and dietitian regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet and health questions.