Best Breakfast Choices for Dining Out on a Kidney Diet
Knowing the best choices for a kidney diet helps you stay within your goals to keep intake low in sodium, potassium and phosphorus. Here are some tips to help keep a kidney-friendly breakfast.
- Order poached or fried eggs. Scrambled eggs may have added milk and salt. Request no added salt.
- Low cholesterol egg product is lower in phosphorus compared to eggs. Request it instead of scrambled eggs, or to use in omelets.
- Choose omelets made with lower potassium vegetables such as onion, bell pepper, mushrooms. Go easy on the cheese or request cream cheese to replace American, cheddar or Swiss cheese.
- Avoid avocado, chili, salty meats and cheese as omelet fillings.
- Limit bacon to 1-2 slices occasionally. Avoid other higher sodium meats like sausage, ham, Canadian bacon and lox.
- Use caution when ordering fast food breakfast sandwiches. English muffins or sourdough toast are much lower in phosphorus and sodium than biscuits. Omit the cheese.
- Limit high potassium breakfast foods like hash browns and orange juice. One small hash brown patty with a small amount of ketchup may be ok occasionally if other potassium sources are limited.
- Choose apple, grape or cranberry juice. Order a small glass if fluids are limited or request fresh berries instead.
- Pancakes and waffles are high in phosphorus and sodium. French toast is a better choice.
- Decline refills on coffee, tea or water if fluids are limited.
- Ask for nondairy creamer for cereal instead of milk.
For ideas on breakfast meals check out the breakfast recipes on DaVita.com.