April 18, 2014
Happy Easter! It’s a wonderful time to celebrate life with family and friends and share a meal and fun activities. No doubt many of us are boiling, coloring and decorating eggs in preparation for Sunday’s Easter egg hunt. But what do you do with the leftover hard-boiled eggs? Here are some kidney diet tips for recycling this tasty, high quality protein source.
- Chop hard boiled eggs and add to a veggie salad as a protein source.
- Make deviled eggs from a kidney-friendly recipe for Deviled Eggs or Deviled Eggs for Parties or Shrimp-Stuffed Deviled Eggs.
- Make pickled eggs. Boil the liquid from a can of low-sodium beets (not pickled) with 1/2 cup distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar. Add peeled eggs and store in the refrigerator 1-2 days before eating. Keeps up to 2 weeks.
- Add chopped eggs to chicken, pasta or potato salad. Try Cool ‘n’ Crunchy Chicken Salad, Rotini Salad, or Picnic Potato Salad.
- Stir up a bowl of egg salad (eggs, mayonnaise, pickle relish and mustard) for a stuffed pita, sandwich or wrap.
- Pack an unpeeled egg for a snack at work or dialysis.
- Visit DaVita.com for more kidney-friendly egg recipes.
Nutrition-wise, hard boiled eggs provide high-quality protein. Each large hard-boiled egg contains 80 calories,6.5 g protein, 6 g fat, 213 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 6 mg potassium and 90 mg phosphorus. If you discard the yolk, one egg white provides 16 calories, 3.6 g protein, 0 g fat, 0 g cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 55 mg potassium and only 5 mg phosphorus.
Practice a few food handling rules to keep your egg experience safe. Check uncooked eggs and discard those with cracks. If eggs are fresh from the chicken coop, wash thoroughly. When selecting hard-boiled eggs for the above suggested uses, avoid eggs that are cracked and possibly contaminated. Always wash your hands and sanitize surfaces used in preparing egg dishes.
Resources from DaVita.com:
- Discussion Forums
- myDaVita.com Account and Newsletters
- DaVita Diet HelperTM
- Phosphorus ChallengeTM
- Food Analyzer
- DaVita Cookbooks