July 30, 2015
Summer is here and so is the heat! Nothing quenches thirst like an ice cold beverage. If you are a kidney patient who’s watching fluid intake, always be aware of how much fluid you are drinking, especially in the summer when tempted to drink more because of the heat. It’s a good idea to check with your dietitian to find out how many ounces or cups are allowed each day for fluid.
If you are not limiting fluids, you may be concerned about potassium, phosphorus and sodium content of the beverages you drink. It’s important to know the ingredients in chosen beverages, as many bottled drinks and powdered mixes contain phosphate additives that can raise blood phosphorus levels. Commercially prepared beverages may contain high potassium ingredients or additives, and some even have hidden sodium.
Some common tips for thirst control include avoiding salt and other high sodium foods, measuring and keeping track of liquids, and sucking on frozen fruit like grapes and blueberries.
DaVita.com has six new kidney-friendly flavored water beverage recipes that will help quench thirst, contain no phosphate additives, and are easy on the budget. Try one of these easy, refreshing beverages today!
- Apple-Cinnamon Flavored Water
- Blackberry-Sage Flavored Water
- Cucumber-Lemon Flavored Water
- Pineapple-Mint Flavored Water
- Raspberry-Lime Flavored Water
- Watermelon-Rosemary Flavored Water
Kidney patients can get more helpful tips from their dietitians and from these DaVita.com articles:
- Fluid Control for Kidney Disease Patients on Dialysis
- .Food that Counts as Fluid on the Kidney Diet
- Guide to Low Sodium Foods for the Kidney Diet
- Top 10 Low Sodium, Thirst-Quenching Foods for the Kidney Diet
Check out these additional kidney resources from DaVita.com:
- Discussion Forums
- myDaVita.com Account and Newsletters
- DaVita Diet HelperTM
- Phosphorus ChallengeTM
- DaVita Cookbooks